Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Decade: Albums

The Blueprint - Jay-Z (2001)


Great content from start to finish, backed by classic production from Just Blaze, Kanye West, Timbaland, and Bink. This album was initially overlooked by some due to its debut on 9/11, but will be forever remembered as the greatest work from the "compadre/the Sinatra of my day."

Kid A - Radiohead (2000)


This is the album where Radiohead truly declared their creative and business independence. They made a totally off-the-wall album with no officially released singles and a visionary marketing plan. - Ryan

Fever to Tell - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (2003)


I started listening to them my freshman year in high school (when I was like 14/15 ha!) and I immediately fell in love. They're still my favorite band to this day, and even though they have musically evolved throughout the years, I still dig their original, raw, New York vibe. - Kaezel

Cold Blue - The Hope Conspiracy (2000)


This album came out shortly after the world was suppose to collapse due to computers not being able to turn the clock over to 2000. Hope Con's first full length album (Cold Blue) has been a huge influence to me musically both, as a spectator and musician. Going into 2010, they're still around surprisingly (most bands that fall into the hardcore genre, don't last more than a year or so) and I'm looking forward to seeing them next month at 924 Gilman. - Matt

Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem (2000)


No explanation necessary. - Illecism

Diplomatic Immunity - Dipset (2003)


If I had to pick, obviously anything Dipset put out was an instant classic. EX: "We're like the March of Dimes/ the way we march with dimes." So there's that. - NDP

The College Dropout - Kanye West (2004)


A debut remembered by many as an instant classic. Love him or hate him, Kanye put everything on the line with a bold album that gave an emphatic one finger salute to most sub-genre purists of the time. More than anything, this album largely defined my high school experience and attitude towards higher education (I did graduate..still waiting on that good ass job). - BW


Editors picks: Sensous, Cornelius (2007), Dear Science - TV on the Radio (2008), Thug Motivation 101 - Young Jeezy (2005), Come Home With Me - Camron (2002), Merriweather Post Pavillion - Animal Collective (2009), Lord Willin - Clipse (2002), The Black Album - Jay-Z (2003), Stankonia - Outkast (2000), I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning - Bright Eyes (2005), Discovery - Daft Punk (2001), Fishscale - Ghostface (2006), Donuts - J Dilla (2006), Cross - Justice (2007)

2 comments: